Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blog 1

Cyborg?

What makes me a cyborg? I never figured that I could be considered one. I’m not a very well constructed, detailed replication of a human being, made of mechanical and synthetic materials, combined with human attributes to make it seem as human and, or as life-like as possible with the ability to enhance, surpass or aide human abilities or replace a need for an actual human. That’s the definition I gained from pop culture, media and art. After researching the actual meanings behind cyborg, or a cyborg, beyond someone’s explanation translated through their imagination, I understand it a lot better now and why I am one.

Pop culture, media and art have it right as to what a cyborg is. A cyborg is a combination of humanity or life-likeness with a synthetic and mechanical base that produces a human or life-like response. Some of their depictions of a cyborg aren't the complete definition, but are great examples of what a cyborg is; half human, half machine hybrid. I just never realized that being addicted to my Zune music player, my newly acquired social networking addiction and my ability to get attached to television shows made me a cyborg. To me a cyborg was made by a human and not so much an acquisition that a human can have. Now that I consider it, people who have to gain artificial body parts to help them or to live normal healthy lives can be considered cyborgs. I just never thought of these people as such because of how necessary and practical their need to be attached to technology was.

I my case being attached to my Zune, although annoying and even a bit heart-wrenching if I'm without it, isn't something I necessarily need to live or survive my life, but it helps and improves my existence at times. It can help in keeping me entertained, shield me from hearing and experiencing things I'd prefer not to, can inspire my imagination to conjure up thoughts that and ideas that I may not have been able to achieve as easily without it. I even consider it one of my best friends (I know, insane, right).

Although I find it necessary to have my music player when I travel to work, take long monotonous and while I do chores at home, I am trying to reduce my use and reliance on some aspects of technology in my life. I have thought about what life was like before some of the advancements we currently have and how people lived without them. A great example was while I was watching a movie from the early eighties and realized that people had to find and use public telephones to make calls outside of their homes, compared to now having a cellphone and being able to move around and communicate with a desired party on the other end of the line. Technology has become such a major part of our current lives and and our future to come.

I'll try to reduce my unnecessary need or use of certain aspects of technology, but there is a side of me that still enjoys being cyborg-ish. I'm jus' not sure if that's a good side or the dark side.

No comments:

Post a Comment